Not all who wander are lost

Not all who wander are lost.

Thursday 26 April 2012

Bateman's Bay Overnighter

Well this was my first overnighter ride on my own. Cathy couldn't get the time off and the only person who put their hand up to ride with me , had to pull out. Anyway it was another fantastic ride with fantastic roads and scenery but to be honest I wouldn't rush to go without Cath again as it was too lonely without her.

Here's my first You tube video of the ride

Day 1: 280 kilometres travelled Map

I headed off at 8:00am through Liverpool to Heathcote then through the National Park, (it was a relief to get out of the traffic) and first stop was the Bald Hill lookout.

 The view down to the 'newish" bridge. (real nice to ride over)


Next stop was Austinmer Beach  for a coffee.

Nice little beach with a rock pool.

Next it was off to the Kiama blow hole and lighthouse. 

Still at Kiama, a view north from the lighthouse.

Then it was a great ride through Gerringong and Gerroa, coming out at Nowra then along the Princess Hwy and into Mollymook and lunch at the Golf Club.

Mollymook beach from the golf club carpark. 

After lunch it was back on the bike and about 40mins to Batemans Bay to the Mariner's Inn on the water.


This is what you get for $60 a night. For $80 you get a complete water view and verandah. I got a view of the air conditioning unit.

You get your own bathroom. It could do with some renovations but that would hike the prices up and besides it was clean and comfy. 

This is the view from the rear of the complex where the $80 rooms all are. 

The rear of the Inn showing the rooms with verandahs. 

The wharf out back, where you can sit and just watch the world go by. 

The bridge over the river in Batemans. 

And again close up. 

After I freshened up, I went walkabout to see what the town was like. 

I ended up at the shopping centre and bought $15 worth of tiger prawns for dinner which I enjoyed overlooking the water.  

 Day 2:  331 kilometres travelled Map

After a 7 km walk along the water's edge this morning, I went back to the room and showered, packed and was off again at about 9:00am.I've wanted to do the King's Hwy from Bateman's Bay to Braidwood ever since the last Snowy's ride in January when I first spotted the turn off..This road is 60km of great windy road through forest and great rural properties.I was very lucky because the road had been closed until the day before due to a land slide.

And so I arrive in Braidwood 

Looking down the main street. 

The old post office. 

The Braidwood courthouse. 

Leaving Braidwood, I left for Goulburn, travelling through Tarago and Lake Bathurst, having lunch at a truck stop on the outskirts of Goulburn and fueling the scooter up.From there I rode a short distance on the highway (boring) and turned off at Merulan onto the Highland Way to ride through Tallong, Bundanoon, Mossvale and Bowral. 

Gotta love those old buildings. 

This road is what riding a motorbike is all about. Good unmarked road with very little cars about. It was a surprise actually, because I didnt know the road even existed until I spotted it on Google maps. After coming out of Bowral I joined the boring Hwy back home and arrived at about 3:00pm (in time to jump in the car and get the shopping done - ah well such is life) 

No comments: